Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Holiday Wishes: Merry Gifts Pillow


There's something really gratifying about sewing for Christmas in the middle of summer. Not only is it a fun change of pace, but it makes me feel miles ahead of the game to get a few holiday projects finished months before I need them. When Fat Quarter Shop asked me to be a part of their Holiday Wishes blog hop, I jumped at the chance to add another handmade Christmas project to my stash.


Sherri Falls has written a sweet little book full of holiday projects that will work for both experienced and beginning quilters. The piecing is all very straightforward, though some of her quilts are more advanced due to the large number of pieces involved in each block. When I saw her Merry Gifts Quilt pattern, I immediately thought of turning one of those gift blocks into a pillow cover. A couch dotted with present pillows would be so sweet for Christmas!

Merry Gifts Pillow sewn by Heidi Staples from Holiday Wishes book

I paired a few prints from Cotton + Steel's Garland collection with Alexia Abegg's black and white Starry fabric from her new Print Shop line. I love the red, pink, white & black color scheme, and those little deer just melt my heart every time I look at them. I also adjusted the block pattern slightly, trimming it so that the cover would fit a 12 x 20" pillow.

Merry Gifts Pillow sewn by Heidi Staples from Holiday Wishes book

The pillow is backed in Ornamentals in Cotton Candy from Garland. I love this print in every colorway, but the pink might be my favorite.

Merry Gifts Pillow sewn by Heidi Staples from Holiday Wishes book

This pillow is cute and retro and such a fun addition to my collection of hand sewn Christmas decor. Summer vacation has been pretty fabulous, but after making this project, I'm feeling just a bit more eager to see the temperatures drop again...

13 comments:

  1. So adorable! On IG I thought it was a pincushion��

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much cuteness in one little pillow ... I want one now too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Très beau coussin. Malheureusement je n'ai pas trouvé le livre de Sherri Chutes en France. Bonne journée

    ReplyDelete
  4. A couch full of 'present pillows' would be perfect! Love this design :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything you make is SO STINKING CUTE!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is darling. Would it be possible to share a tutorial for this?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your pillow and the fabrics that you chose! That little deer, too cute!!! Everything that you make is always so awesome!! I love your taste and style!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adorable! Lovely fabrics you chose. Yes, a whole sofa-full would be fabulous. And then the kids would be jumping bananas on the couch!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adorable! Lovely fabrics you chose. Yes, a whole sofa-full would be fabulous. And then the kids would be jumping bananas on the couch!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your little pillow: it's adorable!! The little reindeer in the middle of your center square is so cute!! :-) Hugs, H

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely adorable!! Love this pattern and what a fun idea to do a pillow!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is so cute. This is my first year sewing holiday things during the summer and now know it won't be my last.

    ReplyDelete

Aren't you the sweetest for leaving a comment! Due to all the ads that bombard this section, I have to moderate everything first, but look for your comment to post in a day or two. Thanks so much for writing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...