Sunday, October 18, 2015

The Return of Fabric Auditions

Fabric Storage by Heidi Staples of Fabric Mutt

One of the best things about getting my fabric stash organized after our move was that it got me excited about doing fabric auditions again. I am absolutely crazy about my new Sterilite chocolate colored plastic woven baskets which I'm using to sort my prints by color. They're large enough to hold a lot of fabric, and they perfectly match my great-grandfather's old cabinet where I keep them. Now that I can see all my prints so easily, it's been a lot of fun to get back into my weekly habit of putting together stacks of fabric for real or imagined projects. I try to share at least one of these bundles on Instagram each week, and it's been great to start building up my collection of ideas again.

Librarian Bundle by Heidi Staples of Fabric Mutt

I call this stack "Librarian," and it reminds me of old libraries and vintage books -- two of my favorite things. I really like this mix of colors along with all the black and white prints. I don't have a project in mind for these fabrics yet, but I really would love to turn them into a quilt.

Summer House bundle by Heidi Staples of Fabric Mutt

This stack was inspired by the Rifle Paper Co. note card on the right. I named it "Summer House," and it reminds me of lazy August picnics and lush fruit orchards. This stack could work as is, but I'm not sure if I'm done rearranging and adding to it yet. The more I play with this bundle, the easier it will be for me to decide what I want to make with it. That's the great thing about fabric auditions: they're a good way to get the creativity flowing whether I have a project in mind or not.

Take a few minutes today and try creating a fabric audition of your own. For your inspiration, start with a color palette, a theme, a picture -- anything that you're loving right now. Share it with me through a link in a comment below or tag me on Instagram @fabricmutt with the hashtag #fabricaudition. I would love to see what you put together!

6 comments:

  1. You should make the bookshelf quilt with your Librarian pull ;c) Also where did you get those baskets? I have a closet where I store a good chunk of my fabric and these would be great to keep them neat! Thanks, shopgirl7232 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo... What a good idea. Do you sort them by size also? I'm trying to come up with what to do with pieces I've already cut part of. Also my scraps are all living in a box together. They often scream to me, "don't forget us" 😨

    ReplyDelete
  3. THose baskets do look really great, Heidi. And I super love both fabric pulls!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your fabric pulls, but I'd really love a better look at your storage! :-) What size are the baskets? Looks like several of us are interested! Thanks for sharing!! Hugs, H in Healdsburg

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like how you've organized your fabrics. When I pull my fabric, I usually put it in gallon-size storage bags and promptly forget what I've pulled and why. Your fabric stash looks lovely and well-organized.

    ReplyDelete

Aren't you the sweetest for leaving a comment! Due to all the ads that bombard this section, I have to moderate everything first, but look for your comment to post in a day or two. Thanks so much for writing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...