Monday, August 31, 2015

Tinsel Gift Tag Runner (with Tag Block Tutorial)

Tinsel Gift Tag Runner by Heidi Staples for Fabric Mutt

Almost as soon as I finished my Luggage Tag Quilt, I immediately started pulling fabric for a smaller version, a Christmas Gift Tag Runner. I've been saving Cotton + Steel's adorable Tinsel collection for this year's Christmas sewing, and these prints couldn't be more perfect for this project.


For those of you who might be interested in making a "gift tag" project of your own, I made each of these blocks using one 3 x 4.5" rectangle and two 1" squares.


Just place the squares at the top corners of the rectangle (right sides of the fabric together) and sew diagonally across from the outside lower corner of the square to the inside upper corner. Trim the seam allowance and press the seam open.


And there you have it...a simple little tag block perfect for projects that feature luggage tags, gift tags, price tags -- you name it! If you make any projects with one of these, be sure to tag me @fabricmutt on Instagram.

Tinsel Gift Tag Runner by Heidi Staples for Fabric Mutt

I would have spaced these blocks apart a bit further, but I really wanted to use that lime green fabric for the sashing even though I didn't have much left. The runner is backed in a Tinsel washi tape print, and I bound it in a Stitched Circles print from Zen Chic's amazing new Modern Background collection. I used my favorite wavy stitch on my sewing machine for the quilting.

Tinsel Gift Tag Runner by Heidi Staples for Fabric Mutt

I don't think I've ever gotten such a head start on my Christmas sewing. It feels amazing to be so ahead of the game...for today anyway!

6 comments:

  1. LOL!! This was my first thought when I saw your luggage tag quilt - that it'd make a cool project to use up Christmas prints!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! Love it! You make the sweetest things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy and bright for Christmas celebrations! And I love the lime green sashing, it really sets off the other prints.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this table runner. Can you give me the sashing and dimensions?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well that is just adorable! Well done you for getting some Christmas sewing done. I am in love with the Tinsel range - I hadn't seen it until now (another reason I love your blog!).

    ReplyDelete

Aren't you the sweetest for leaving a comment! Due to all the ads that bombard this section, I have to moderate everything first, but look for your comment to post in a day or two. Thanks so much for writing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...