Monday, August 19, 2013
This weekend I tackled my very first frame purse, and overall I think we can call this a positive experience. My fingers are still pretty sore after sewing the bag into the frame last night, but otherwise it was fairly painless. The frame is a large one -- about 13" from one end to the other -- so this is a full size handbag, not just a coin purse. I'm not going to pretend that this was the best sewing job I've ever done -- that visible hand stitching on the lining around the inside of the frame makes me a little antsy -- but for a first attempt, it turned out okay. I used this tutorial to draft my pattern and sew the bag together, adding in an extra layer of Pellon 70 interfacing to help the bag stand up the way I wanted it to.
I enjoyed pairing Anna Maria Horner's Field Study print with one from Juliana Horner's new Rosette collection. The colors look so perfect together and I love the mother-daughter connection. I added a wood grain print from Aviary 2 for the handles which seemed like more fun than buying a set of wooden handles for the top.
This bag is packed and ready for fall. Now if the weather would just cooperate...